Bon Voyage!


Welcome to the world of cruising! Whether novice or seasoned cruiser, picking the perfect cruise vacation just became a whole lot easier. This blog is bringing you the 411 on cruising according to me, Shon "Cruise Man 3000" Ford! This site is a 'cruisetacular' collection of my personal cruising experiences, cruise ship reviews, and cruise line ratings—I’m bringing you the latest and greatest from the high seas! I hope to bid you a Bon Voyage on a contemporary innovative ocean going vessel very soon! Hey, while you're at it, have a 'cruisemazing' day! Much love—Shon!


Thursday, March 13, 2014

Off Deck Thoughts: Overcoming Daily

I'm still alive... I promise!

So where have I been? That's a great question. I've been posting occasionally here and there but not as much as many of you may have been used to and here's why. Recently I've been faced head-on with some issues that just honestly have taken the God-given energy outta me. Talk about 'life' happening in addition to keeping an intense travel schedule... no words can begin to describe. Been doing a lot of crying, eating and doing the whole 'I'm human right now' thing; I really feel like I'm in the fight of my life and some days I don't even know how I'll make it through the day.

A word I think is appropriate to describe the everyday battles we face is OVERCOMER! And for those who read the blog know I LOVE sharing songs and I've got one on the way below. But I just wanted to take this time to share a little more of my life's story. When I was younger, I was diagnosed with spinal meningitis which in my infancy was supposed to kill me. The doctors gave me just 3 days to live and placed me in a room where a girl was dying from aids and a boy who passed away with HIV. And the only kid who came out of that disease-ridden room was me. So maybe that's why I'm a little more 'out there', laugh little louder and smile like it's a part of my outfit - I truly value this gift called life (even if it's kinda sucky at times).


Growing up without a father in my life, should have disposed me to a staggering amount of statistics in society. Kids in school would always make fun of me for being overweight when I was younger and use hurtful words that would send me home crying many nights. Through all my college years, racism was the demon that haunted me many days, but I persevered through and cruise before you today as an overcomer! I could share many more triumphs in my life, but the story would still be the same: I OVERCAME THEM ALL... just like I'll overcome what I'm going through right now! We all hurt. We all experience pain and difficult situations, but they've all been designed to make us stronger!

At times I wished things in my past never happened, but I'm actually glad they did. They helped shape a new character in me and mold me into the man I am today. I remember crying out to God asking him to change my skin color to white, to send me a father and to not allow people to make fun of me when I was younger. But instead of getting out of it the easy way, I learned how to get through it with God's help! He made me stronger, a fighter and someone who is an (can you guess the word)... overcomer!


And just like Mandisa shares in the video above, God is holding you in every low moment you're experiencing. He's right there walking the journey with you. So never quit and don't you dare give in! There are many people waiting on YOU and YOUR story. Always remember that your life isn't about you; while yes, you may focus on yourself while you're walking through the storm but think big picture. You're a cancer survivor and meet someone who was just diagnosed. You were abused in your childhood and know a child who's crying out for help but afraid to speak-out. Your spouse passed away slowly and you know a coworker having to face the reality each day. All these things are not coincidences. Just know your story of overcoming is meant to help and bless those around you... don't be afraid to share your brokenness - there's power in it! 

2 comments:

  1. You are a winner, Shon!

    It shows in your work, in your thoughts, in your travels, in your beliefs, in your spirit, in your faith, in your optimism....in your overcoming!

    You are an inspiration to many....and, I suspect you are discovering the born-leader within. All that's happened in your life has prepared you for today....and what's happening today is preparing you for tomorrow....and you WILL overcome!

    Wishing you all the very best, Shon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too kind and so are your words! Thanks for reading along and sending over a wave of encouragement! Keep cruising and grooving!

      Much Love-Shon

      Delete

Cruise Ship Pics

Loading...

Cruise Ship News

Loading...